Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bridal AND Biz Tip: Keep Calm and Carry On

As I mentioned yesterday, now that I have officially outed myself to my friends and colleagues as a wedding planner specializing in advising time-crunched brides, it is time to follow some British wisdom:


I am a huge fan of the Brits and their kitsch. I own many a piece of "Keep Calm and Carry On" paraphernalia - a framed poster, tin mug, keychain, tote bag, tea towel, and stationery set. (Did I really just admit that?)

But it's not purely the kitsch factor that draws me to this stuff. "Keep Calm and Carry On" is an important message - for brides and budding business owners alike!

Brides, listen up. Weddings are as fabulous as they are complicated. Logistics can confound NASA scientists in their complexity. Gathering families together can be an outright nightmare. Keeping calm in the midst of the madness is vital - both for your sanity, and for the sake of your wedding. Your day will be infinitely more enjoyable if you can stay focused, avoid drama, and tick off your to do's.

For my fellow wedding planners and budding business owners, I think we should all have this poster framed on the walls of our offices. It is so easy to become overwhelmed by building a business that is 100% reliant on YOU. The task list is infinite. There is always more you could be doing. But instead of drowning in self-doubt under a pile of unwritten emails and untweeted tweets, we just need to get on with it. Right?

But enough business talk. More fun stuff:

One of my many pieces of paraphernalia. I heart John Lewis.
This little nugget of wisdom happens to have some interesting history: In 1939, Britain was on the brink of war. The government commissioned the red "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster as reassuring propaganda - but the poster was never officially issued! Instead, a crumpled copy was found years later in a bookshop in Northumberland. Today, the "Keep Calm and Carry On" message is as relevant as ever. In the UK, "Keep Calm" paraphernalia is ubiquitous and has spawned some pretty adorably kitschy and sometimes hilarious alternatives:

I have one of these too. Image via The Gifted Penguin.


I mean, irresistable right? Via Peter Pauper.
Hilare. I love the inverted crown. Via Amazon.
My personal favorite. Via allofmyheart.co.uk.



Someone, please hire me to plan a British Kitsch wedding. I am already brainstorming the WCP, bridesmaid gifts, welcome bags, and wedding favors...

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails