Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The AWW Interview Part II: Wedding Photog Casie Shimansky, Our 300th Twitter Follower!

How gorge is this? Photo by Rebel Belle.
Yesterday, we had the pleasure of (virtually) meeting Casie Shimansky of Rebel Belle Photography, our 300th Twitter follower! In Part I of The AWW Interview, Casie gave some fantastic insights into following her passion to start her own business. Today, we'll hear some hilarious and inspiring stories from the wonderful world of wedding photography. Enjoy!

The AWW Interview Part II with Casie Shimansky

AWW: What is the most creative thing a couple has ever done in their wedding photo shoot?

CS: It’s a coin toss! My couples always have a knack for blowing me away with their creativity and their incredible amounts of love for one another. My latest e-session, however, was done in New York City with a Disney “Up!” theme. From Times Square to Central Park, complete with enormous balloons and the ring box that Gennady had specially made for Maggie’s engagement ring (which was in the shape of the house from “Up!”) -- it was incredibly special to be a part of that session, for sure. I love couples who say, “Let’s try this!” and ADD their personalities to the session. Creativity and the best photographs are born from those moments.

Could this "Up!"-inspired engagement session be any cuter? Photo by Rebel Belle.


Um, yes, apparently. Photo by Rebel Belle.
AWW: “Trash the dress” sessions are becoming increasingly popular. What was your favorite “trash the dress” shoot?

CS: I’ve only done one of these so far – which was an incredible session out at Daytona Beach, FL with Joe and Whitney! My recent & upcoming brides are all buzzing about them though! “Convincing” a bride to “Trash” her dress isn’t easy. What most don’t realize, I think, is that you’re not REALLY trashing it and you don’t HAVE to do anything insane like go swimming in the Atlantic or paint ball it up – you just have to, really, do the unexpected! It is a GREAT opportunity for more portraits too with you and your groom! I love the relaxed nature of these pictures, since there are no wedding day nerves – everyone is just there to have a great time.
Portrait of a sandy bride. Photo by Rebel Belle.
AWW: You do many other things besides wedding photography! Is there another type of shoot (maternity, portraiture, etc.) that you particularly enjoy?

CS: I love them all.  It’s like choosing a favorite child – it just can’t be done! Every session, every family, every couple, every location is just something new and different – an entirely brand new adventure! I’m the luckiest girl out there, no doubt.
Cutie patooties, courtesy of Rebel Belle.
AWW: You note on your website that though you are based in Florida, your “bags are packed” and you are ready to travel anywhere for a client! Where is the coolest place you’ve ever had the opportunity to shoot?

CS: I get insanely giddy at the idea of traveling, and living out of my luggage (is that weird?) – I’m an explorer. Give me a new city any day, and I’m there. I’ve shot weddings in Illinois and New Jersey in the absolute heart of winter, engagement sessions in New York City, and been just about everywhere in Florida from Sanibel to St. Augustine for events. New York City stole my heart – but I have yet to make it across any ponds or out to the West Coast – yes, that’s invitation. :-)

Smooches in the Concrete Jungle. Photo by Rebel Belle.
AWW: How did you choose the name “Rebel Belle Photography”?

CS: I was given a nickname when I was 15 from the manager at my very first job. She started calling me “Casie Belle” because her cat was named “Jessie Belle”. I’m not sure how that transpired, but it did and from there EVERYONE started calling me “Casie Belle” – to the point where people think that’s my middle name! When it came time to name this company – I struggled. A lot. “Casie Shimansky Photography” does not roll off the tongue easily, and my name gets either mispronounced (it’s Casie like “KC” not “Cassie”) or misspelled all together. 
One morning I woke up and was laying there when something taped to my bedroom door caught my eye. It was a magazine article title that I had cut out YEARS before, back in high school, and all it said was – Rebel Belle. I had business cards ordered by the end of that day.

AWW: Finally, do you love or do you LOVE driving a Mini Cooper? What color is it?

CS: I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE driving my Mini Cooper!  It’s Blue with the White Roof (I call it my Yankee Cooper – because I’m also a huge Yankees fan!). It is the ONE thing in life I’ve “splurged” on just for myself, and it took a LONG time to finally get. The Mini definitely makes my heart happy. We’re best friends. :-)

Casie, we have loved getting to know you and hope to work with you on a wedding one of these days! Thank you so much for your insights, anecdotes, and inspiration.

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous interview! So glad other people are getting to know Casie because she is truly a wonderful person and so much fun to work with! I think the picures speak for themselves! :)
    Much love,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky is this little photographer?! Thank you SO MUCH Jennifer -- I'm so excited to have gotten to know you and cannot WAIT to get back up to NYC and work on some phenomenal weddings together! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails