Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Anniversaries: Traditional vs. Well, Not

Apparently I am on an anniversary kick here at the AWW blog. I promise to get back to weddings... but my last two posts have spawned questions and ideas that I just can't help exploring!

The most central question regarding wedding anniversary celebrations is this: go traditional or, well, not?

Traditionally, each wedding anniversary is celebrated by exchanging gifts made of the following materials:


Oh wait. That's my anniversary gift list.

Ahem. The traditional gifts are as follows:


(These gifts vary by country but the above are generally accepted as the norm in the US. Plus, Wikipedia is never wrong. Obv.)

Let's hear it, married ladies! Do you partake in giving traditional gifts? Or do you do your own thing?

And for you fabulous brides: it's never to early to start pondering how you and your hubby-to-be will celebrate your anniversary-to-be. Does tradition appeal to you?

I like the idea of following tradition. Materials like wood and tin force one to be creative, while the occasion itself merits thoughtfulness. There is definitely potential for very cool and unique gift-giving to happen here.

The flip-side to following tradition, however, is the pressure that comes along with having to be creative and thoughtful and cool and unique. At the same time. Ten years from now, I hope to have a house full of little Butlers. Am I really going to have the time and mental capacity to think up a tin tchotchke for our tenth? A tin tchotchke that the hubby would actually like and appreciate? I'd like to think so... but I just don't know that a tin tenth is going to hold a lot of appeal.

This year, as I've mentioned, the hubby and I decided to go on a little spa adventure for our first anniversary. We chose to spend the money we would have spent on gifts on an experience. A fun and romantic and adventurous weekend together. As much as I did love my paper gift, I think we're going to stick with this untraditional approach. At least until our 60th anniversary, when I will FINALLY get my diamond.

Here is the important thing: wedding anniversaries are an opportunity to create tradition together. Whether you follow the traditional gift list creatively and thoughtfully every year, or do an annual couples bungee jump, you are creating your tradition in celebration of your marriage.

No matter what you decide, be sure to enjoy the ride.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails