Monday, October 4, 2010

The Decision to Go Sponsor-less: Are We Nuts?

Those of you are particularly astute blog-stalkers (I know you're out there... right?) will have noticed a little note I left in the right column last Friday. It reads:

As much as we could use the cash, we have decided that this blog will not seek sponsorship support. Any products or vendors that are mentioned on this blog are here because AWW ♥'s 'em. Are you nuts, you ask? Nope, we just like spotlighting things we love with no strings attached. Cheers!

Let us ponder the question contained therein (sans royal "we") for a moment. Am. I. NUTS?!

Back in the bygone days of my bridal blogging, a whole 23 months ago, there were a handful of beautiful wedding blogs out there. I mean, this was the era when Brooklyn Bride was still on Blogger. I feel so old!

Ahem. AnyWay, so there used to be a mere gaggle of wedding bloggers, and now - well, even the New York Times has recognized the wedding blog explosion! Wedding blogs have not only become an influential part of the multi-billion dollar wedding industry, they have become an industry all unto their own.

When I re-entered the wonderful world of wedding weblogs, I couldn't believe how professional everyone looked! The spun-sugary layouts. The jaw-dropping graphic design. The awe-inspiring photos. The oodles of sponsors. Holy moley, the $pon$or$! Ka. Ching.

Surely I am insane for not getting in on this action. After all, AWW is a budding business and, at least until time-crunched brides come knocking down our apartment office doors, I could use all the moolah I can get!

Here's the thing, the difference: I am not building my business around my blog. Kudos to those who are (check 'em out on my blogroll), because y'all are doing a fabulous job and I am inspired every day by the gorgeous presentation and fun content of your posts.

I am building a bridal advisory company, and the purpose of this blog is to compliment that. This blog is a marketing tool - another way to reach the masses, increase my web presence, and connect me with my future clients. Most importantly, this blog is a way for me to show my personality, share personal and professional tips, and post about things I like. I am making so many fun discoveries along my entrepreneurial journey, and I want to be able to share them genuinely, with no strings attached.

So whether I'm posting about Hanky Pankies or Google Kool-Aid, you can trust that I'm just being me. Even if it puts me in the poor house.

Would love to hear your thoughts - am I insane? Or does this actually make sense? Leave a comment!

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. Good call. Especially when those AdWords placements could also lead to your competitors. But don't cheapen your opinion by becoming a shill for those you don't like. Now if you can make affiliate income from things you love... chase that money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! All of those flashing ads are annoying. Besides, do any brides click them? Building your business and having the blog be a part of that is really smart. Plus it differentiates you from the pack.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails