Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fun Work and Work Work

As much as I wish I could browse fabulous wedding blogs all day, apparently I have decided to start a business. Granted, it's a business that will allow me to browse wedding blogs regularly. But it's still a business and I need to get serious. I didn't pay mucho dinero for my MBA (Master's in Bridal Advisement? Alas, no - Business Administration) to be a half-assed entrepreneur.

Go big or go home. Or, in my case, go big from home, as that is the current location of my office. I'd show you a picture, but I currently have my Hanky Pankies hanging on a drying rack next to my desk.

Anyway (AnyWay?), what I love about my new gig is that it's the perfect blend of Fun Work and Work Work.

Fun Work comprises most of my day. Greeting, meeting, and tweeting. Browsing and brainstorming. Admiring and advising. And that is how I've spent the last six weeks with my first two brides. (More on them later.)

Now comes the Work Work. Now that I have decided to turn a timely bridal advising gig into my new career, I want to do it right. So when I'm not admiring plentiful inspiration boards and oodles of freshly posted real weddings, I'll be Work Working on my business plan.

A real business plan! I'm excited and daunted at the thought. After all, this is what my MBA trained me to do. I should be able to do it well. But it's hard! There are lots of numbers! And even a few graphs! And once it's written, well, then this is all for real. Which is hugely exciting but a wee bit scary. After all, no entrepreneur wants to fail, right?

But here's the thing: no matter what happens, I won't fail. I can't fail. Because whatever AnyWay Weddings turns out to be, I am going to learn a ton. I am going to take a risk, go big, and absorb every ounce of learning out of the experience that I can.

Let's get this business started!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails