Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changin' Your Name: It's Worth the Pain!

I had a big moment yesterday, courtesy of Facebook. I changed my personal profile name from Jennifer Beckmann Butler to... drum roll please... Jennifer Butler (Beckmann). Yes indeedy. My maiden name has been subjugated to parentheses and my married name has taken center stage.

Call me old fashioned, but I love that I changed my name as soon as I got married. I love sharing my husband's name. It makes us feel like an invincible little family unit of two, and that makes me rather insanely happy.

How I became a Butler

The name change process, however, was rather fraught with loads of paperwork and surprising levels of incompetence. The biggest pain for me was not my passport or UK visa (we were living in London at the time) or social security or anything that you might think would be bad - but my two frequent flier programs!

I completed all the required paperwork, submitted all the info they needed... and yet both Virgin and Delta got it wrong. Instead of Jennifer Beckmann Butler, Virgin decided I was changing my name to - wait for it - Jennifer Beckmannbutler. Delta preferred verbosity over preposterosity: Jennifer Beckmann Beckmann Butler. Uy yuy yuy. SO not hot.

Of course you don't have to slog your way through it alone, as I did. There are services out there that can automate much of the process for you. Chief among these is MissNowMrs.com, one of the best known (and cutest-named) web services out there. For only $29.95, they alert everyone from the passport office to the post office, submitting all the necessary forms for you. They will also draw up a number of letters you can send to various other folks such as your insurance and utility companies. See below or click here for their full list of services.

Ok, yeah, so this looks a little neater than my list...

I think it's great that a well-priced service like this exists. And yet I will freely admit that I was WAY too Type-A to let anyone else do this for me. I liked knowing that it was all in my hands. Either way, it's important to know that any automated service is not going to cover ALL of your name change needs. And just when you think you've thought of every place your maiden name was lurking, you will remember something else ("Ah! My gym membership! Eureka!").

Just keep in mind that this is a process. It's not foolproof, and it won't be painless (Beckmannbutler?! REALLY???). But try not to get bogged down in the paper. After all, if you choose to change your name, then from the moment you say "I do" you are a Mrs. Woohoo!

At least Facebook makes it easy.

AnyWay Weddings Step-by-Step Name Change Guide is comin' atcha tomorrow! Keep your eyes peeled!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails