Friday, November 19, 2010

The By No Means Comprehensive But Nonetheless Quite Useful AnyWay Weddings Step-by-Step Name Change Guide


A note before we begin: when I was changing my name, the hubby and I were living in London so I had to change my work visa in addition to my passport. Therefore this guide applies to both US-based and expat brides. I've tried to make it clear which info applies to whom - please get in touch if you have any questions!

First and foremost: make sure you have several certified copies of your marriage license as you will need a lot of them! And pay close attention - for some name changes you can just send a photocopy, others you need to send a certified copy.

It is also useful to have your birth certificate available, so pick up a few certified copies of this as well (which you should already have in order to get your marriage license).

Now then, let's get started with The Three Biggies (four if you are an expat). Here is the order I recommend:

1. US Passport
  • Click here and here for info
  • Of course there are a couple different forms depending on your situation (they can't make it that easy!) but I used form DS-82 
  • You also need to provide two passport photos (if you are not in the US make sure you get the US size - who knew passport photos come in different sizes depending on the country?!) and a certified copy of your marriage certificate (don't count on getting it back, as I don't think I did)
  • Depending on your whereabouts and travel plans, it might be worth paying for an expedited service - otherwise these things can take a long time. Check with your local US Embassy for more information.
1a. Visa - for expats only!
  • Look up your local US Embassy online for info. This step has to happen after you change your passport since your embassy will likely require your new passport - but check on the web to make sure!
2. Social security card
  • Click here for info - you will need to provide proof of your name change (i.e. marriage certificate), citizenship (i.e. birth certificate or new passport), and identity (i.e. new passport or drivers license)
  • All of these must be either certified copies or originals!
  • Fill out Form SS-5 and follow the additional instructions
3. Drivers License
  • If you are in the US: Go to your state's DMV website and follow the instructions
  • If you are an expat: Do a web search for the authority who has granted you your license and follow the instructions

So those are The Three/Four Biggies in that they take the most time and require immediate and focused attention. While you're working on those, other items you can check off your list are below. For each of these (except those which only required a phone call) I included a cover letter with my old name and old signature, new name and new signature, and also any associated account number(s).

Bank accounts
  • You can change your name by going to your bank in person with your marriage certificate. Relatively painless.
  • If you are an expat with US accounts, you can call your bank and have them send you a form - but I would recommend waiting until your next trip to the US and following the instruction above. Much easier and less room for error.
Insurance
  • Call your insurance company. For me, all it took was a simple phone call and the company changed my name in their records and sent me a new card. Totally painless. (Thank you Cigna!)
  • Once you have your new insurance card, the next time you see your doctor make sure to change your name in their office records as well
Credit cards
  • This varies widely. Call each of your credit card companies. Some you can do over the phone, others you have to send a letter and/or marriage certificate.
Cell phone
  • Call your provider. Mine needed a marriage certificate sent to them, which I attached with the cover letter I describe above.
Frequent flyer programs
  • Note: this must be done after you get your new passport!
  • As I mentioned yesterday, this was surprisingly annoying. Call each program to see what they need. Some require a photocopy of your new passport and a marriage certificate, others just require the marriage certificate. While both of my programs got the name change WRONG, they did correct it over the phone (so I did not have to resend the forms). I wish you better luck than I had!
And don't forget...
  • Any other financial accounts (savings, retirement, etc.)
  • Student or other loans
  • Gym membership
  • Professional affiliations
  • Business cards
  • Email addresses
  • Utilities, mortgages, and all that grown up stuff

PHEW! If you've read this far down the post, I hope you are not hyperventilating. As I've said, this is a process that can be fraught with complexities and annoyances big and small - but it is well worth going through!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am here to help!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails